Cafeteria Cashier Volunteer Procedures
- Make sure your contact information is correct in VSP. VSP generates automatic email reminders before your shift and a text reminder 2 hours before your shift. If you are not receiving these reminders, check your VSP settings and check your email spam folder. Add the VSP reminder email address to your contacts and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts.
- Be on time and stay for the entire shift (10:45 a.m. – 1 p.m.). The first and last students through the line NEED you and so do your fellow volunteers. If you are late, the lunch service gets backed up for the day, and we scramble to get volunteers to fill in for you. This job is so much easier when everyone is there ready to work. Staying for your entire shift allows all children to be properly fed with the same love and attention as the children earlier in the day. Mrs. Tonia will communicate instructions at the beginning of the shift for cashiering, not to be missed. Contact your shift team members if you are going to be late or have to leave early. Contact a friend to help you cover your shift.
- Please find a sub when you are unable to work. It is your responsibility not only to request a sub but also to make sure your shift is covered. See the instructions for “Finding a Sub for your Shift” instructions. We will do our best to improve the availability of rosters and sub lists.
- When you arrive for your shift, check-in to the VSP terminal at the cashier station. This is different from the volunteer sign in at the front office.
- No eating on the line, in the kitchen, or while cashiering. We encourage you to stay and enjoy a free lunch after cashiering and visit with your fellow volunteers. Ask the servers to prepare your tray.
- Children are not allowed to use the computer terminals.
- Walk through the lunch line to see what's being served. Ms. Tonia will provide instructions for portion size and how to charge special items on the menu.
- All grades may purchase seconds of entrees, sandwiches, vegetables, fruit, cheese, yogurt, and drinks. No seconds of chips or ice cream allowed.
- On Fridays only, kindergartners and 1st graders lunches include ice cream at no extra charge. If they brought their lunch from home, they may buy ice-cream from the snack line.
- Kindergartners and 1st graders may purchase drinks from the drink/snack line. They are not allowed to buy chips. Ice-cream is available for sale on Fridays (for those who brought their lunch).
- Second, 3rd and 4th-grade students can buy ice cream on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- When cashiering, once you enter the child’s number, always make sure that the name matches the account number they gave you.
- Parents may set a per-day spending limit on their child’s account. If a child is over their limit, please have the child return one or more items on the tray, and continue to ring up the remaining items on their tray.
- Parents may put restrictions on their child's lunch accounts (particularly for food allergies). Please be mindful of pop-up messages after the student's ID is entered and do not sell them the item. If there are questions about a restriction that is put on a child’s account, please speak to Ms. Tonia.
- Do not show preferential treatment to any children (give them chips or ice-cream, not charging items, etc).
- Do not accept any checks for lunch accounts. If a child brings a check please direct them to Ms. Tonia so that she can deposit the check to the child's lunch account.
- At the end of each shift, please follow the closeout instructions that are left by the register.
- When the lunch service is complete, enjoy lunch with your shift team.
- If you would like to receive sub requests from servers, please update your VSP profile job preferences and mark “sub for servers” (grandparents and dads are servers too). As a cashier, you are already set up to sub for other cashiers.
Enjoy your time getting to know other parents and watching the kiddos grow throughout out the year!
Cafeteria Cashier Coordinator - Esther Choi at email@example.com